I purchased my first domain name and web space in August of 2007. Since that time I’ve probably purchased about a dozen more domain names. There are some fairly obvious benefits to owning your own domain name and web space.1
Virtual Real Estate – Part I – Obvious Benefits
- Your own website! Admittedly, there are a lot of ways to get a website for free, but there are always tradeoffs (pop-up ads, no creative control, ads inside your pages).
- Accountability. When you own your own webspace, your web host is responsible for taking care of problems when things go wrong.
- More features. When you’re paying for your own webspace, you can set up your own MySQL databases, install programs like WordPress, set up an FTP account, etc.
- Custom e-mail addresses. Always wanted “I-Hate-Clowns@SuperCoolAwesome.com”? Good news!
- Hopeless customizer. I’ve already confessed my need to customize just about everything. Being able to tinker with every little setting on a web server is a customizer’s dream.
Next in this series: Part II – Less Obvious Benefits
- Its more like leasing, but whatever. [↩]